31/10/2011

Preliminary Task Brief - Proposal

Target Audience and Content Brief:
My magazine will be aimed at students studying full time at Southdown's college, the age range will be 17-20 because this is the average age range in college and the topics included will address events that will be advertised to this age range. The magazine content will be mostly general news about what's happening in college with some articles focuses on certain subjects such as performing arts and media but with every issue this will change so that there is some consistency that keeps our target audience as large as possible, some articles will also be written by students that reviews music and popular type of media.

My magazine would be released at the start of every term which would mean the cover would reflect the season, the one I am planning to make will be for the start of the Autumn term. These magazines will also reflect a colour scheme and for the Autumn edition I will use warm colours such as reds, browns and oranges. The dimension of my magazine is also quite important, I think my size will be A5, this is partly due to many local magazines use an A5 format which is small and easier to carry rather than an A4 sized magazine.

Title and Font Ideas:
I thought that I would keep the college title simple and short such as simply "Southdowns" or using other characters such as numbers or puncuation. Eg. 5outhD0wns.
I would have to be careful with the second font however if I was to download a font from a website such as Dafont I would have to check that the characters are supported in that font which would restrict my choices.

This font has a very urban influence on it, I think it'd only be able to use this for seasonal or a special issue.

This font is very basic but I like the fact that this could be manipulated according to when the magazine is sent out/ the general theme of the issue. This could be a very good font to be edited in photoshop.


Following on with the simple font ideas this font has some slight changes which make it stand out but not too much, this means I can manipulate this further to give it an extra edge. 


This is quite a masculine font, with the distorted and faded effects which unless I countered the front page with more feminine styles I don't think this would be a good font considering my magazine is targeted for both sexes.


This font is quite elegant and feminine so like the above one I think this would be very hard too use if I am to target males in my magazine, maybe this could be used on a specifically feminine stereotypical article such as fashion or dance.

The colour for my masthead will be added and edited in Photoshop, I will be using the Southdowns logo or colour scheme so that there is a sense of familiarity and that it is easily recognised throughout the college.


Taglines ideas:
The ideas for the tagline are very awkward considering it could be either a formal magazine with standard English or a more informal and non standard form of English. The tagline would possibly change for each issue which relates to the time the magazine was released. 

Front Cover Images:
I will be using a medium close up for my front cover with the student looking directly ahead to catch the eye contact of the reader. I will also try to incorporate an iconic image which relates to the season it is released, for this Autumn issue I could use my model having a fashion style that reflect to the weather or use imagery such as Halloween or bonfire night. I am not sure whether I am going to use a group of people or a individual, I feel that using a group of people will represent community however using an individual will have a more personal feel.
This is one of my first shots for the magazine cover, the positioning and lighting of the shot is very poor and the position of the models too is also quite bad, even if there is direct eye contact. I feel this wouldn't seem make the magazine look very professional.

I used this shot to experiment with other types of lighting, this one used more natural lighting however it is not consistent throughout the whole shot. The background was also poorly chosen with the ornament behind the models is more distracting rather than complimenting the picture.

This is my favourite photo, taking photos outside gave the right amount of lighting and the positioning of my model gave more depth than my other photos.

This photo is a very good image of the college itself, especially with the sign to the right which in itself shows what the magazine is going to be about, the positioning of the model is very awkward as I would have preferred that they were to the right more. The lighting on this is quite bleak but this can be edited in Photoshop if I decide to use this photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment